Provisional Driving Licence Apply
In the UK, if you want to learn to drive a car, moped or motorcycle, you must apply for a provisional driving licence first. Driver licensing online is a convenient online service which enables you to apply for a new or update your driving licence online. This service is supported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and you can access through Directgov online platform. But this provisional driving licence online application is only suitable for those who are first time to apply. To be eligible, you need to a resident of Great Britain who can meet the minimum age requirement and minimum eyesight requirement. If you meet all the requirement, application online only takes you a few time to complete.
Using the Driver Licensing Online system on Directgov website is an easy, convenient, and completely free way for you to apply for your first provisional driving licence. The service is online and is completely not-for-profit. Once you successfully submit your application, you may expect to receive your driving licence within two weeks from DVLA.
About the Directgov
Directgov is a UK public service website supported by UK government, which delivers information and practical advice about public services for people in England and Wales in one platform. You can find services and information related to motoring, parents, education and learning, employment, money tax and benefits, travel and transport, income support and more from Direcgov.
How to get a provisional driving licence?
- A computer with internet access.
- You need to be a resident of Great Britain who can meet the minimum age requirement and minimum eyesight requirement and have not had a provisional licence in Britain before.
- A valid UK passport or a valid National Insurance number.
- A valid debit or credit card and details of your last three years addresses.
- Step-By-Step Guide
- Go to the Directgov Driver Licensing Online Service website at related link 1 below, and click the link of "Apply for your first provisional driving licence."
- Read through Driver Licensing Application Guidance and click "Next" and "Apply Online" to start your application.
- If you already have a Government Gateway User ID, you can click "log on" to continue. Or if you are a new user, click "register" link to register your Government Gateway account first.
- Follow instructions to complete application process online. You may expect to receive your driving licence within two weeks of you submitting your application from DVLA.
- For further information, refer to the Provisional Driving Licence Application Introduction web page at related link 2.
- Directgov Driver Licensing Online Service: http://www.direct.gov.uk/drivinglicence
- Provisional Driving Licence Application Introduction: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_10012514