Social Security Online Services
Planning to apply your Social Security benefits but worrying about traveling to and waiting outside the Social Security office? With Social Security Online Services, you can apply at home and arranging your Social Security account or appointments at ease. What Are Social Security Benefits? Social Security benefits are services provided by Social Security Administration for persons who are in need of one or some of the benefits. At Social Security website, you can apply for retirement/spouse's benefits, medicare benefits, disability benefits, and some others. With Social Security Online Services, you can apply or manage your benefits at home or any other place, without the bother of waiting in queues outside the Social Security offices. How To Apply Social Security Benefits Online?
- You need to have a computer with access to the internet and a working printer.
- The online services are available during a certain period, which is 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. from Monday to Friday, 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, and 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. on holidays.
- If you are applying retirement/spouse's benefits, you should be at least 61 years and 9 months old. And the application should be done within 4 months before the time you want to get the benefits.
- If you are already 65 years old, your retirement/spouse's benefits can be applied together with medicare benefits. But if you do not want retirement/spouse's benefits, you can apply medicare benefits only.
- If you want to apply disability benefits, you need to provide your Adult Disability Report, which contains information about your medical, work, and education situation and history for the administration to decide whether you are eligible.
- You should also be a resident in the United States, and agree to receive your benefits via your bank account or via other financial institutions.
- Step-By-Step Guide
- Visit Social Security Online Services website (related link 1 below), choose the benefits you want to apply.
- As instructed, answer the application questions, when finished, click "Apply Now".
- To answer these questions, you may be asked to provide your date of birth, Social Security number, direct deposit numbers, total earnings last year, expected earnings this year, the name and address of your employers in the past 3 years and so on.
- Print the application, sign on it, then mail it with the documents required to the address given by Social Security Administration.